Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie: Ultimate comforting dish!


This one is my favorite, a warm dish that full of comforting food ^ ^. Each spoonful, you will find delicious mashed potato with the sweet sautéed onion and the cheese.

I love soft food (well, I told you before, hehe, that I love baby food), so I can't wait to try anything like this. Anyway this is my second time for this dish,  I love the creaminess of the mashed potato that goes very well with the cheese.
You can serve this dish as a main (which is very good for me), with a bowl of soup, it will be your ultimate comfort menu.
Even the name of the dish says pie, I just have to say that , it's a baked mashed potato with onion and cheese (it's longer, but easier to understand, right?)


When mashing the potato, I use the hand mixer (this method is from Delia Smith and I stuck to this way ever since) it's easier, quicker and smoother, you can use this method when making the simple mash too (but if you like your mashed potato to be a bit chunky, it's not for you, ^ ^).
This dish can be prepared ahead of time, and when you want to serve just place the tomato and sprinkle the cheese on top and put it in the oven and bake until it's golden brown.
Easy and delicious food is not hard to make, well, now I can say this, haha.






Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie
* serves two generously 
(I must say, you have to be very very hungry to finish it, haha, I serve 4)
takes about 45 minutes to make




750g .................................. potatoes, peeled and quartered
40g .................................... butter
1 ......................................... large onion, thinly sliced
100ml ................................ milk
200g .................................. mature Cheddar, Double Gloucester or Red Leicester cheese, grated
50g .................................... Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 teaspoon ........................ wholegrain or English mustard
............................................ sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 ..................................... tomatoes, sliced


Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.




Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain the potatoes and return back to the pan. Mash really well with a potato masher (dailydelicious note: I use hand mixer, which is very quick and efficient).



While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a pan and gently saute the onion until lightly golden and sweet. This will take about 10 minutes. Add the milk to the pan and heat until almost boiling.




Then beat the milk and onion, three-quarters of the cheddar cheese, the mustard and some seasoning into the mashed potato.




Transfer to a buttered ovenproof dish, lay the tomato slices on top and scatter over the remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is bubbling and lightly golden.




Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie: Ultimate comforting dish!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pook...

    Not only you're good in baking, but your snap shots are lovely as well! Keep posting ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely and really tasty. Thank you for sharing this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven on a plate. Dont know why I dont cook this more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finishing it now, I did as the recipe stated 750g potatoes, 40g butter, etc, and I could consume it until it comes out of my ears

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...