Monday, August 1, 2011

Sachertorte : Not Original, but Truly Delicious!


 "The Original Sachertorte" is complicated enough to cause legal issues, but for me the cake is original or not is not important. The problem for me is "it's yummy or not ^^".


 The composition of the Sachertorte are chocolate cake with apricot preserve and chocolate ganache, you can find a lot of recipe for this simple cake. 
Actually I make this cake because one of the reader wrote me an email, told me that she really want to make it because her boy friend carried it from aboard for her but just dropped it on the floor before they had a chance to eat it together -*-.
Well, I tried to find a good recipe for her but unlucky me, I choose the recipe that turn out to be as hard as a rock chocolate cake ,haha. But it didn't stop me, I know that this cake is not hard to make but you got to have the right recipe ^^.
So, this time, I make it myself, as there are many guidelines from the recipes, I start to think what my Sachertorte will be like. I don't like the one that has only one layer of apricot preserve on top, well it's a bit dry on the bottom of the cake. A lot of preserve will make the cake moist and delicious ^^.
My Sachertorte end up with a lot of preserve, by brushing a preserve over the thin layers of the chocolate cake. The process is easy but the result is extra ordinary, hehe. Because the chocolate cake become moist with a bit of sweetness form the preserve, yummy.
It's not hard to make this elegant cake (and I know it's worth showing of ^^, if you like), the key is when stacking up the cake layer don't forget to place some heavy dish on top of it to make them stick together, or you will have a problem when cutting it.
Well, my Sachertorte is not original, and I don't have to claim any right, haha, but the thing that I know for sure is it's delicious.




Sachertorte 
Makes about 4 (3.5x11.5cm) small cake
Chocolate Biscuit
100g .......................... Dark chocolate (50% cocoa mass), chopped
65g ............................. Unsalted butter
4 ................................. Egg yolks
5 ................................. Egg whites
..................................... A pinch of salt
70g ............................. Sugar
65g ............................. Cake flour


Filling
130 -150g ................. Apricot preserved 


Chocolate ganache
100g .......................... Dark chocolate (50% cocoa mass), chopped
100g .......................... Whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 180°C Line 30x40cm pan with baking paper.
Sift the flour, set aside.
Melt the chocolate and butter together by putting the chocolate and butter into a bowl and  place the bowl over the pan of hot water and stir until melt.
 Whip the egg white with sugar until glossy stiff peaks form.
 Combine the egg yolks, salt and chocolate mixture together, whisk to combine.
Fold about 1/3 of meringue into chocolate mixture until combine. Add another 1/3 of meringue with half of the flour, fold to combine. Pour the rest of the meringue with the rest of the flour fold until combine.
Pour the batter into the pan, bake for 15-18 minutes or until the cake spring back when touch lightly.


Let the cake cool completely.


Cut the cake into 4 pieces.
Warm the apricot jam until liquid. Spread the warmed apricot jam over the layers of the cake and stack them together.
Cover with plastic warp, place some heavy dish (or anything that you can find about 1kg , ^^) over the cake, to make the cake layers stick together for 10 minutes.




Cut the cake into pieces.
Make the ganache by boiling the whipping cream and pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate. Wait for 1 minutes and stir lightly to melt the chocolate.
Cover the cake with ganache, and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up the ganache.
Decorate as desire and serve.


Sachertorte : Not Original, but Truly Delicious!

3 comments:

  1. hi,
    beside apricot jam can i replace it with other jam? thanks

    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Elaine
    Actually if you don't mind about making Sachertorte, you can use any jam that go well with the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried made this for my hubby 's Birthday and he loves it. Thanks for the sharing

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...